development?

Jan 20, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Hi,

This is truly a great tool! Is there still development going on? Is there a point asking for new features?

Thanks,
Dina

Coordinator
Jan 21, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Hey

The work is going on. Recently I have been busy doing features that I need at my work (integration with Azure Diagnostics Logging). Didn't commit for long time thought.

What feature you're looking for?

Sergey

Feb 3, 2013 at 6:26 AM
There are several things which would greatly help:
  • Input from a folder (instead of file)
  • Saving a settings file (which saves all the folders used and the corresponding regex definition files)
  • Ability to save the filtered/joint results to a file and not just view it on the screen
  • Ability to drag-drop files (which will use a default format)
  • Run from command line to produce output
  • Define multi-line filters (regexes that search not just in a single line)
Thanks,
Dina
Coordinator
Feb 10, 2013 at 8:21 PM
May I clarify some of your requirements?
  • Input from a folder (instead of file)
    Is it enough for you to have one-time folder traversal or you want LogJoint to monitor a folder and (try to) automatically load all logs that it dynamically discovers there?
  • Ability to save the filtered/joint results to a file and not just view it on the screen
    What output format do you want to be used?
  • Define multi-line filters (regexes that search not just in a single line)
    One log message can have multiple lines. Do you want to match multiple lines within one log message or you want to search across multiple log messages?
Feb 11, 2013 at 6:19 AM
Edited Feb 11, 2013 at 6:20 AM
  • An option to monitor a folder would be truly great (this will especially work well with the ability to save settings files).
  • I think that saving to a text file is enough.
  • I meant an ability do define search patterns multiple messages, in order to find behavior patterns in the system.
Thanks,
Dina
Coordinator
Feb 13, 2013 at 1:44 PM
Ability to drag-drop files and ability to save the filtered/joint results are implemented. Will be included to next release.

Input from a folder is an interesting idea. Needs to be though thought.

Command line interface supports simple scenario of opening a log file. More complex scenarios like producing output is a job for console version of the tool. There are no plans to make console version thought.

Searching across multiple messages in difficult because of the design. No plans to support that.
Nov 1, 2013 at 7:19 AM
sergeys wrote:
Ability to drag-drop files and ability to save the filtered/joint results are implemented. Will be included to next release.

Input from a folder is an interesting idea. Needs to be though thought.

Command line interface supports simple scenario of opening a log file. More complex scenarios like producing output is a job for console version of the tool. There are no plans to make console version thought.

Searching across multiple messages in difficult because of the design. No plans to support that.
How to specify a format when opening a log via command line? Is there a detailed description about the command line interface?

Thanks
Liu Kai
Coordinator
Nov 1, 2013 at 6:04 PM
Edited Nov 1, 2013 at 6:04 PM
How to specify a format when opening a log via command line?
There is no way to specify format via command line. The tool automatically detects the format the way way it does when you drag/drop a log file.
I admit that auto-detection can slow down the loading. It can also result to misdetecion when there is ambiguity. User-provided hint would solve both problems. It is easy to implement.
Do you really need manual format selection via command line or auto-detection is enough?
Is there a detailed description about the command line interface?
Nope.
Now command line interface is very simple:
logjoint [logfile1[, logfile2[, logfileN]]]